Wednesday, February 13, 2013

What is 'style', 'palette' and 'subject'?

Obvious? Well no! Apparently not!

I often get the comment, oh you change your style so much! Or 'but this is not the same as your other style!' or even "I like your other style better"  ..... hmmm .......

I have been baffled for ages just what people are talking about? And have wandered away bemused... and a little intrigued.

But aha! the penny dropped the other day! It seems many viewers of art don't understand the difference between 'style' 'pallette' and 'subject'...... I guess what is bleeding well obvious to us as painters, eludes the average viewer who look to see some continuity in an artist's work. This can be quite tricky if the painter isn't a realist prone to painting the same subject..... which is the path many painter's stick to!

If like me, the artist paints different subjects in different mediums and with a range of pallettes, then this can leave the viewer caught off guard. So I thought I'd elucidate a bit.....


My 'style' hasn't changed much over the years except to get more complex and layered. I always start with a seemingly chaotic layer of freely applied paint which can use up to three or four different qualities of acrylic paints from transparent to inks, opaques and thick dribbles. Over this, I build up to six layers which make the work more complex but also adds to the depth of the work and helps to define the subject. I developed this style of working from my early love of watercolours which I then translated into acrylics by using watercolour or flow mediums.  90% of my acrylic paintings are created this way, in this style of paint application. I still paint watercolours from time to time, like the one above, but they are single layer works.

My 'subject' matter has however changed over time as I usually wander between 'inner forests' and 'landscapes' - sometimes 'aerial mapping of the land' - and again 90% of my works are on these themes..... however, like all artists, I often get called on to paint other subjects such as portraits, florals, interiors, abstracts.... etc and since I can, I do.....

Then it comes to 'pallette' - and here the fun begins because I love colours - all of them! So I am not inclined to just chose a limited pallette but like to explore all sorts of different colourways and combinations! No wonder the viewer gets worried..... because if they aren't completely observant but just give my art a passing glance, then they would never have studied the way I actually apply my paints hence thinking I have changed my 'style'......

I guess they can be forgiven!

The other confusing thing that a viewer needs to be aware of is that of 'materials' and as an artist, I often paint on paper, canvas, or even can collage papers together to make my own ground...... lately, I have also ventured into having some of my larger and major works editioned onto Italian papers and Indian Silks to add to the mix. These all add to the many differences that one can see in my works and to the confusion. However, I still paint in the same 'style' - the 'style' hasn't changed; the subject, materials, pallette all do though as like a lot of creative people, I get bored.......

Till next time! Joy

No comments: